In case your child has swallowed a penny, don’t panic. As pennies are small, they’re not usually harmful if they’re swallowed. In most cases, the penny will pass through your child’s system without causing any problems.
However, it’s important to keep an eye on your child and watch for any signs of discomfort or illness. If your child starts vomiting, has diarrhea, or seems to be in pain, call your doctor right away. These could be signs that the penny is causing an obstruction in your child’s digestive system.
Whether you’re concerned about your child swallowing a penny, talk to your doctor. They can give you more information and help you decide whether you need to take any action.
Is It Harmful If You Swallow a Penny?
No, swallowing a penny will not do any harm to your body. In fact, the U.S. Mint actually recommends that when you accidentally eat a coin, you should let it pass through your system naturally. While most pennies are made of copper and zinc, they are coated in a thin layer of copper to give them their shiny appearance.
This coating is what can make pennies dangerous if ingested, as it can cause gastrointestinal issues like nausea and vomiting. However, the amount of copper in a penny is so small that it’s not considered toxic and won’t do any lasting damage to your health. So if you happen to swallow a penny, don’t get scared!
Just keep an eye on your stool for a few days to make sure the coin passes through without incident. And next time, be more careful with your money!
What Will Happen If a Child Swallows a Coin?
Most coins pass through the digestive system without any problems. But if the coin is lodged in the esophagus, it can cause pain and blockage.
When this happens, your child will need to be seen by a doctor right away. If the coin is lodged in the stomach, it will eventually pass into the intestines and out of the body. This can take a few days or weeks, depending on how big the coin is and how fast your child’s digestive system works.
In most cases, there’s no need to do anything except wait for nature to take its course. But if you’re concerned about your child’s discomfort or they have other symptoms such as vomiting or abdominal pain, call your pediatrician for advice.
And be sure to keep an eye on your child’s stool over the next few days to make sure the coin comes out.
How Do You Remove a Swallowed Penny?
If the swallowed penny cause problems such as pain or bleeding, it will need to be removed.
The first step is to call your doctor. They will ask about the symptoms and may want to see x-rays to determine where the penny is. In most cases, the penny will show up on an x-ray.
If it doesn’t, that means it’s likely passed through the digestive system already. In case the penny is still in the stomach or intestines, the doctor may recommend waiting for it to pass. This can take a few days.
In some cases, they may prescribe medicine to help move things along. If there are concerns that the penny may cause blockage or perforation (a hole), surgery may be needed to remove it.
Surgery is also an option when waiting for the penny to pass doesn’t work or isn’t possible. After removal, most people recover quickly and have no long-term problems.
Child Swallowed Coin How Long to Pass
A swallowed penny might cause some discomfort when passing through the intestines, but it shouldn’t cause any blockages or serious damage.
The main thing to watch for is whether your child is having any trouble breathing or swallowing. If they seem to be in pain or having difficulty swallowing, then you should take them to the emergency room just to be safe.
Otherwise, just keep an eye on their stool for a few days to make sure the coin passes without incident.
In conclusion, if your child has swallowed a penny, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. While a penny is not typically harmful, it can cause problems if it becomes stuck in the esophagus or digestive system.
If your child is experiencing any symptoms such as difficulty swallowing, coughing, or abdominal pain, call your doctor or go to the emergency room immediately. Otherwise, you can call the poison control center for guidance on how to proceed.